There’s a wealth of exciting news from Bloodstock HQ in regard to their grass-roots-metal-supporting ‘Metal 2 The Masses’ scheme. Coming on board as a premier sponsor is the newly resurrected, iconic metal label, Music For Nations! Also two more exciting prizes have been thrown into the mix for one of the lucky bands on the Hobgoblin New Blood bill.
All those winning a slot on the Hobgoblin New Blood stage via the ‘Metal 2 The Masses’ initiative will already be in the running for the chance to receive endorsement deals from gear manufacturers and professional PR advice, but are also now eligible for these additional prizes. One winner will get recording time with renowned producer, Jaime Gomez Arellano (Ghost, Angel Witch, Cathedral & many more) at his residential Orgone Studios in Woburn, Beds. Metal Hammer have also pledged to support one winning band with exposure on Metal Hammer’s website and invite them to the magazine offices for a feature photoshoot and interview, plus a radio interview for Team Rock Radio.
Meantime, the ‘M2TM’ finals are already under way and continue through to 10th July (remaining dates below). Bloodstock‘s ‘Metal 2 The Masses’ judging squad have been clocking up the miles (1800 to date!) and many lucky bands have won slots on the Hobgoblin New Blood stage! Check out this lot for starters.
Joining Friday’s bill are;
- Seed of Sorrow – Melodic death metallers from the Inverness final. Five piece from the Scottish highlands, dedicated to producing the angriest metal possible!
- Husk – Death metal from the Wolverhampton final. With many of their dark, groove based tracks being built around bass player/vocalist Bob Taylor’s infectious bass playing, introducing elements of slap bass in death metal shouldn’t even be a thing… But it really is.
- Burning The Dream – Progressive death metal from Glasgow’s final. Venomous groove-laden death with hooks galore!
- Vehement – Extreme/black metal from Brighton’s final. Black clothes? Black face masks?! Check! An unrelenting smoke machine and a bone fide MMA fighter on drums?! Check, check!! Extreme metal with real strength!
- Triverse Massacre – Groove/thrash metal from Carlisle’s final. “…like standing naked in a hurricane, or diving head-first into a nest of pissed-off hornets!” Heavy as fuck!
- The Crawling – Down-tempo death from Belfast’s final. When a band has the ability to set a scene in a mere 30mins, you’re on to a winner. The Crawling say little between tracks allowing the sample of flies to draw the audience into an uneasy feeling of melancholy. A grim blend of doom and death that’ll have you scratching and questioning your own mortality.
- Ten Ton Slug – Stoner sludge doom from Dublin’s final. Like being reverse kicked in the knackers by a disgruntled rhino! These lads are not for those of a weak disposition.
Winning a Saturday slot:
- Bearfist – Metal from London! It’s all about the riffs and these guys have ’em in spades. So much so, the guitarist won the handmade custom guitar from local sponsors, Empire Guitars! Congrats lads!
- Ramage Inc – Ambient prog metal from Glasgow’s final. Already well established with prog/tech metal fans, these guys deliver with comparisons to the Devin Townsend writing style but with the Ramage stamp. Tech bliss.
- Famyne – Doom from Kent’s final. A young band with an old school sound, remiscent of Chronicles’-era Hawkwind mixed up with the epic sound of Candlemass. An obligatory oversized gong and a rolling smoke machine were in full effect!
And the first one for Sunday:
- Art of Deception – Melodic death from Norway’s final. With frontman Sindre Johnsen having direct family ties to Kvelertak, his pedigree points to his ferocious vocal delivery and no shortage of notable twin lead skills. These guys were a stand out choice.
As well as the fresh blood, sliding in to a Sophie stage slot are Beholder! Fronted by Metal 2 The Masses Head Honcho, Simon Hall, he’ll be leading the way where many of his charges will hope to follow. With a recently lauded new album…
There’s also a chance for punters at each event to win weekend tickets to Bloodstock, a case of Hobgoblin Ale to take home, or various other Bloodstock related prizes. You can even shake hands with Bloodstock‘s Metal 2 The Masses mainman, Simon Hall. Remaining finals run as follows so get out, support and win those festival tickets for yourself!
17th Jun – NEWCASTLE – The Cluny
18th Jun – SOUTH WALES / CARDIFF – Fuel Club
19th Jun – MANCHESTER – Grand Central
24th Jun – SWINDON – The Victoria
24th Jun – DEWSBURY – The Old Turk
25th Jun – MERSEYSIDE / LIVERPOOL – Bumper
1st Jul – LINCOLNSHIRE / LINCOLN – The Lincoln Imp
2nd Jul – READING – Facebar
9th Jul – BURNLEY – Sanctuary
9th Jul – BOURNEMOUTH – The Anvil
9th Jul – POLAND / BIELSKO-BIALA – The Rude Boy Club
10th Jul – BIRMINGHAM – The Roadhouse
Weekend tickets with camping, plus various VIP packages are available now, priced from £139 (+ booking fee) at http://bloodstock.seetickets.com/event/bloodstock-2016/catton-park/902838